Contact Me

Author Email: amberbentleyromance@gmail.com
Marketing ONLY Email: bentleypr@gmail.com
Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest ~ StumbleUpon
Scoop It ~ Empire ~ Delicious ~ Goodreads

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Word Verification on #Blogs - It Sucks!


Really? 
People whine about lack of comments. The truth is, you should simply be happy you have readers. I get 1000s and 1000s of unique visitors to my blog, yet I don't even have more than a few handfuls of GFC followers - and generally even less commentors.
Imagine a world where there was no word verification. 
Makes me sigh dreamily.
Now those that argue they already get a lot of comments, you'd get more.
It's time consuming (think of those visiting this month from the A to Z Challenge). It takes twice as long to put in those little letters. And they seem to be getting harder and harder to read. There's been blogs I've simply left after three or so tries.
I know - I know.
What about spammers?
To be honest, Blogger does a fairly good job of putting spam comments in their spam bin. However, simply turn off your word verification and choose to monitor your comments.
It takes (honestly) just  few seconds of your time.
A lot less than it takes your readers to try to figure out the mess that is the word verification.



3 comments:

  1. I agree. And if you're participating in a blog hop and authors have their Captcha turned on, it's very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus, it's not as if you can't just let a spammer make a comment and delete it as soon as you find it. It's not like the spammer gives your blog cooties and everyone else will run away. In the land of A-Z suckage, the words verification bugs me less than peeps who signed up and haven't even done one post, but are still on the linky. Plus, the ones who think it's okay to post their "book"chapter by chapter in lieu of real posts. Or even worse, those who devote every post to something (a character, a setting, whatever) in their book. They really think people will buy their book once they read about how romantic, scary or messed-up the characters are? Really? And what about long discourse posts that go on for 1000 words on craft (or even worse, inane stuff)? I like craft as much as the next person, but it's a HOP not a SLOG.

    Whew. Rant over. Sorry, but your post loosed the floodgates. *blush*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I struggle with word verification because I have poor eyesight. Anyway, I prefer not using it. I still like moderating comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Your feedback is always appreciated. Please note that many times I will respond on blog, so be sure to check back.

....